language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to local government; giving Hennepin County the same authority as Minneapolis to negotiate agreements relating to skilled trade and craft workers and apprentices;
amending Laws 1988, chapter 471, sections 1, subdivisions 1, as amended, 4, as amended; 2, as amended.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
The city of Minneapolis special school district No. 1, Minneapolis and the municipal building commission, are each authorized to negotiate agreements concerning the hiring and terms and conditions of employment for skilled trade and craft workers and apprentices with local labor organizations representing skilled building and construction trades, electrical workers and apprentices, and stagehands or production technicians and apprentices.
In connection with services performed for the employers identified in subdivision 1 under the agreements, persons hired under the agreements are:
(1) not subject to the provisions of Minnesota Statutes, chapter 44, chapter 19 of the Minneapolis city charter or the civil service rules and regulations adopted under chapter 19;
(2) not public employees entitled to pension benefits under Minnesota Statutes, chapter 353, or other state law providing pension benefits for public employees, except to the extent they may otherwise be vested; and
(3) at will employees of the employers identified in subdivision 1 who may be released from their positions pursuant to the terms of the applicable collective bargaining agreement and are not entitled to review of those discretionary decisions under the provisions of Minnesota Statutes, section 179A.20, subdivision 4; or 179A.25.
Unless agreed to by the person, section 1 does not apply to:
(1) persons employed by the city of Minneapolis on April 6, 1988, as skilled trade and craft workers and electrical workers and apprentices;
(2) persons employed by special school district No. 1, Minneapolis and the municipal building commission, on April 15, 1994, as skilled trade and craft workers and electrical workers and apprentices; and
(3) persons employed by the city of Minneapolis as stagehands or production technicians on the effective date of this act or such other date as agreed to by the parties.
Unless the agreement specifically provides, an agreement authorized under section 1 shall not affect any vested or accumulated rights, liabilities, or terms and conditions of employment of those current employees.
Presented to the governor May 3, 2013
Signed by the governor May 7, 2013, 10:44 a.m.
Copyright © 2013 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.