Key: (1) language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to highways; designating the Shawn Silvera Memorial Highway;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2004, section 161.14, by adding a subdivision.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
(a) Marked Interstate Highway 35 from its intersection with Broadway Street in Forest Lake to the point where the highway divides into marked Interstate Highways 35E and 35W, and marked Interstate Highway 35W from the point where it divides from marked Interstate Highway 35E to Lake Drive in Lino Lakes; are designated as the "Shawn Silvera Memorial Highway."
(b) The commissioner of transportation shall adopt a suitable marking design to memorialize this highway, in consultation with and approval by the Shawn Silvera Foundation, that conforms to the manual on uniform traffic control devices adopted by the commissioner of transportation pursuant to section 169.06, except for the following requirements:
(1) be a height of at least 60 inches, and a width of at least 48 inches; and
(2) have a background color of blue, and have white lettering.
(c) The commissioner of transportation shall erect suitable signs as close as practicable to the following locations, subject to section 161.139:
(1) one sign on southbound marked Interstate Highway 35 at its intersection with Washington County Highway 2;
(2) one sign on northbound marked Interstate Highway 35W within 300 feet of the location at which Officer Silvera was killed in the line of duty on September 6, 2005;
(3) one sign on northbound marked Interstate Highway 35 between the point where it divides into marked Interstate Highways 35E and 35W and marked Trunk Highway 97; and
(4) one sign on southbound marked Interstate Highway 35 south of its intersection with marked Trunk Highway 97.
Presented to the governor May 17, 2006
Signed by the governor May 20, 2006, 11:55 a.m.