language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to transportation; amending definition of recreational vehicle combination;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2005 Supplement, sections 169.01, subdivision 78; 169.81, subdivision 3c.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
(a) "Recreational vehicle combination" means a combination of vehicles consisting of a pickup truck as defined in section 168.011, subdivision 29, attached by means of a fifth-wheel coupling to a camper-semitrailer which has hitched to it a trailer carrying a watercraft as defined in section 86B.005, subdivision 18; off-highway motorcycle as defined in section 84.787, subdivision 7; motorcycle; motorized bicycle; snowmobile as defined in section 84.81, subdivision 3; all-terrain vehicle as defined in section 84.92, subdivision 8; or equestrian equipment or supplies.
(b) For purposes of this subdivision:
(1) A "fifth-wheel coupling" is a coupling between a camper-semitrailer and a towing pickup truck in which a portion of the weight of the camper-semitrailer is carried over or forward of the rear axle of the towing pickup.
(2) A "camper-semitrailer" is a trailer, other than a manufactured home as defined in section 327B.01, subdivision 13, designed for human habitation and used for vacation or recreational purposes for limited periods.
Notwithstanding subdivision 3, a recreational vehicle combination may be operated without a permit if:
(1) the combination does not consist of more than three vehicles, and the towing rating of the pickup truck is equal to or greater than the total weight of all vehicles being towed;
(2) the combination does not exceed 70 feet in length;
(3) the middle vehicle in the combination does not exceed 28 feet in length;
(4) the operator of the combination is at least 18 years of age;
(5) the trailer carrying a watercraft, motorcycle, motorized bicycle, off-highway motorcycle, snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, or equestrian equipment or supplies meets all requirements of law;
(6) the trailers in the combination are connected to the pickup truck and each other in conformity with section 169.82; and
(7) the combination is not operated within the seven-county metropolitan area, as defined in section 473.121, subdivision 2, during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.
Presented to the governor May 20, 2006
Signed by the governor May 24, 2006, 1:20 p.m.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes