The metropolitan landfill contingency action trust account is an expendable trust account in the remediation fund. The account consists of revenue deposited in the account under section 473.843, subdivision 2, clause (2); amounts recovered under subdivision 7; and interest earned on investment of money in the account. The account must be managed to maximize long-term gain through the State Board of Investment.
Money in the account is appropriated to the agency for expenditure for any of the following:
(1) to take reasonable and necessary actions for closure and postclosure care of a mixed municipal solid waste disposal facility in the metropolitan area for a 30-year period after closure, if the agency determines that the operator or owner will not take the necessary actions requested by the agency for closure and postclosure in the manner and within the time requested;
(2) to take reasonable and necessary response actions and postclosure care actions at a mixed municipal solid waste disposal facility in the metropolitan area that has been closed for 30 years in compliance with the closure and postclosure rules of the agency;
(3) to reimburse a local government unit for costs incurred over $400,000 under a work plan approved by the commissioner of the agency to remediate methane at a closed disposal facility owned by the local government unit; or
(4) reasonable and necessary response costs at an unpermitted facility for mixed municipal solid waste disposal in the metropolitan area that was permitted by the agency for disposal of sludge ash from a wastewater treatment facility.
The operator or owner of a mixed municipal solid waste disposal facility or a solid waste disposal facility shall provide the necessary information to the agency required by sections 473.842 to 473.847 or by agency rules.
The agency or any member, employee, or agent thereof authorized by the agency, upon presentation of credentials, may:
(2) enter upon any property, public or private, for the purpose of taking any action authorized by this section including obtaining information from any person who has a duty to provide the information, conducting surveys or investigations, and taking response action.
When the agency incurs expenses for response actions at a facility, the agency is subrogated to any right of action which the operator or owner of the facility may have against any other person for the recovery of the expenses. The attorney general may bring an action to recover amounts spent by the agency under this section from persons who may be liable for them. Amounts recovered, including money paid under any agreement, stipulation, or settlement must be deposited in the metropolitan landfill contingency action account in the remediation fund created under section 116.155.
1984 c 644 s 75; 1985 c 198 s 1; 1988 c 685 s 34; 1989 c 209 art 1 s 38; 1989 c 325 s 64,65; 1989 c 335 art 4 s 96; 1990 c 604 art 10 s 20; 1991 c 182 s 1; 1991 c 199 art 1 s 77; 1991 c 337 s 79,80; 1991 c 347 art 1 s 18; 1992 c 464 art 1 s 52; 1994 c 585 s 47; 1995 c 220 s 124; 1995 c 247 art 2 s 50; 1996 c 470 s 27; 1Sp2001 c 2 s 147; 2003 c 128 art 2 s 48-51; 2005 c 10 art 1 s 72; 2016 c 166 s 17