Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

260C.121 VENUE.

Subdivision 1.Venue.

When it is alleged that a child is in need of protection or services, venue may be in the county where the child is found, in the county of residence, or in the county where the alleged conditions causing the child's need for protection or services occurred.

Subd. 2.Transfer.

The judge of the juvenile court may transfer any proceedings brought under section 260C.101, except adoptions, to the juvenile court of a county having venue as provided in subdivision 1, at any stage of the proceedings and in the following manner. When it appears that the best interests of the child, society, or the convenience of proceedings will be served by a transfer, the court may transfer the case to the juvenile court of the county of the child's residence. With the consent of the receiving court, the court may also transfer the case to the juvenile court of the county where the child is found. The court transfers the case by ordering a continuance and by forwarding to the court administrator of the appropriate juvenile court a certified copy of all papers filed, together with an order of transfer. The judge of the receiving court may accept the findings of the transferring court or may direct the filing of a new petition or notice under section 260C.143 and hear the case anew.

Subd. 3.Resident of another state.

If it appears at any stage of the proceeding that a child before the court is a resident of another state, the court may invoke the provisions of the interstate compact on juveniles or, if it is in the best interests of the child or the public to do so, the court may place the child in the custody of the child's parent, guardian, or custodian, if the parent, guardian, or custodian agrees to accept custody of the child and return the child to their state.

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes