Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Minnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


(a) Remedies available for the collection and enforcement of support in this chapter and chapters 256, 257, 518, and 518C also apply to cases in which the child or children for whom support is owed are emancipated and the obligor owes past support or has an accumulated arrearage as of the date of the youngest child's emancipation. Child support arrearages under this section include arrearages for child support, medical support, child care, pregnancy and birth expenses, and unreimbursed medical expenses as defined in section 518A.41, subdivision 1, paragraph (h).

(b) This section applies retroactively to any support arrearage that accrued on or before June 3, 1997, and to all arrearages accruing after June 3, 1997.

(c) Past support or pregnancy and confinement expenses ordered for which the obligor has specific court ordered terms for repayment may not be enforced using drivers' and occupational or professional license suspension, credit bureau reporting, and additional income withholding under section 518A.53, subdivision 10, paragraph (a), unless the obligor fails to comply with the terms of the court order for repayment.

(d) If an arrearage exists at the time a support order would otherwise terminate and section 518A.53, subdivision 10, paragraph (c), does not apply to this section, the arrearage shall be repaid in an amount equal to the current support order until all arrears have been paid in full, absent a court order to the contrary.

(e) If an arrearage exists according to a support order which fails to establish a monthly support obligation in a specific dollar amount, the public authority, if it provides child support services, or the obligee, may establish a payment agreement which shall equal what the obligor would pay for current support after application of section 518A.34, plus an additional 20 percent of the current support obligation, until all arrears have been paid in full. If the obligor fails to enter into or comply with a payment agreement, the public authority, if it provides child support services, or the obligee, may move the district court or child support magistrate, if section 484.702 applies, for an order establishing repayment terms.