473F.01 PURPOSE; USE OF PROCEEDS.
Subdivision 1. Purpose.
The legislature finds it desirable to improve the revenue raising and
distribution system in the seven-county Twin Cities area to accomplish the following objectives:
(1) to provide a way for local governments to share in the resources generated by the growth
of the area, without removing any resources which local governments already have;
(2) to increase the likelihood of orderly urban development by reducing the impact of
fiscal considerations on the location of business and residential growth and of highways, transit
facilities and airports;
(3) to establish incentives for all parts of the area to work for the growth of the area as a
(4) to provide a way whereby the area's resources can be made available within and through
the existing system of local governments and local decision making;
(5) to help communities in different stages of development by making resources increasingly
available to communities at those early stages of development and redevelopment when financial
pressures on them are the greatest; and
(6) to encourage protection of the environment by reducing the impact of fiscal considerations
so that flood plains can be protected and land for parks and open space can be preserved.
Subd. 2. Use of proceeds.
Except as provided in section
473F.08, subdivision 3a
proceeds from the areawide tax imposed under this chapter must be used by a local governmental
unit in the same manner and for the same purposes as the proceeds from other ad valorem taxes
levied by the local governmental unit.
History: Ex1971 c 24 s 1; 1991 c 291 art 1 s 37