Subdivision 1. Authorization and contents.
Subject to the limitations set forth in sections
, any person who adopts and uses a trademark or a service mark in this state may
file in the Office of the Secretary of State, on a form to be furnished by the secretary of state, an
application for registration of that mark setting forth the following information:
(1) the name and business address of the person applying for such registration; and, if a
business entity, the state of registration;
(2) the goods or services in connection with which the mark is used and the mode or manner
in which the mark is used in connection with the goods or services and the class in which the
goods or services fall;
(3) a description of the mark;
(4) the date when the mark was first used in this state by the applicant or a predecessor
in interest; and
(5) the applicant's statement of belief that the applicant is the owner of the mark and that
no other person has the right to use such mark in this state either in the identical form thereof or
in such near resemblance thereto as might be calculated to deceive or to be mistaken therefor
and the mark is in use.
Subd. 2. Signing and verification.
The application shall be signed as provided in section
645.44, subdivision 14
, and verified by the individual applicant or, for business entity applicants,
by a person with authority to sign on behalf of the business entity.
Subd. 3. Specimen or facsimile of mark.
The application shall be accompanied by a single
specimen or facsimile of such mark.
Subd. 4. Filing fee.
The application for registration shall be accompanied by a filing fee of
$50, payable to the secretary of state.
History: 1959 c 600 s 3; 1969 c 1148 s 63; 1983 c 301 s 191; 1986 c 444; 1988 c 682 s 47;
1989 c 335 art 1 s 211; 1992 c 517 art 1 s 34; 1993 c 48 s 8; 1993 c 369 s 116; 1998 c 315 s 3,4