245.802 FACILITIES FOR PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS; RULES.
Subdivision 1.[Repealed, 1987 c 333 s 20
Subd. 1a.[Repealed, 1987 c 333 s 20
Subd. 1b. Monitoring of facilities.
After June 30, 1989, no residential facility licensed by the
commissioner of human services or the commissioner of health, other than facilities specifically
licensed for people with mental illness, may have more than four residents with a diagnosis of
mental illness. The commissioner of health, with the cooperation of the commissioner of human
services, shall monitor licensed boarding care, board and lodging, and supervised living facilities
to assure that this requirement is met. By January 1, 1989, the commissioner of health shall
recommend to the legislature an appropriate mechanism for enforcing this requirement.
Subd. 2.[Repealed, 1987 c 333 s 20
Subd. 2a. Specific review of rules.
The commissioner shall:
(1) provide in rule for various levels of care to address the residential treatment needs of
persons with mental illness;
(2) review Category I and II programs established in Minnesota Rules, parts 9520.0500
to ensure that the categories of programs provide a continuum of residential service
programs for persons with mental illness;
(3) provide in rule for a definition of the term "treatment" as used in relation to persons
with mental illness;
(4) adjust funding mechanisms by rule as needed to reflect the requirements established
by rule for services being provided;
(5) review and recommend staff educational requirements and staff training as needed; and
(6) review and make changes in rules relating to residential care and service programs for
persons with mental illness as the commissioner may determine necessary.
Subd. 3.[Repealed, 1987 c 333 s 20
Subd. 4.[Repealed, 1987 c 333 s 20
Subd. 5. Housing services for persons with mental illness.
The commissioner of
human services shall study the housing needs of people with mental illness and shall articulate
a continuum of services from residential treatment as the most intensive service through
housing programs as the least intensive. The commissioner shall develop recommendations for
implementing the continuum of services and shall present the recommendations to the legislature
by January 31, 1988.
History: 1976 c 243 s 7; 1977 c 305 s 45; 1980 c 618 s 18; 1981 c 360 art 2 s 15; 1Sp1981 c
4 art 1 s 115; 1982 c 424 s 130; 1984 c 542 s 6; 1984 c 654 art 5 s 58; 1984 c 658 s 2; 1985
c 248 s 70; 1986 c 444; 1987 c 197 s 1-4; 1994 465 art 3 s 8