299F.093 POWERS AND DUTIES OF COMMISSIONER.
Subdivision 1. Duties; rules.
The commissioner shall:
(1) adopt rules no later than July 1, 1987, with the advice of the Hazardous Substance
Notification Advisory Committee, establishing the form and content of the hazardous substance
notification report form, as required by section
, and describing one or more hazard
categories with specified ranges of quantities in each hazard category, representing increments of
substantially increased risk;
(2) print and provide to individual fire departments the requested number of hazardous
substance notification reports, which must be made available to a fire department no more than
90 days following its request, for the fire department to mail or otherwise make available to
employers in the jurisdiction;
(3) report to the legislature, as needed, on the effectiveness of sections
and recommend amendments to sections
that are considered necessary;
(4) adopt rules to implement sections
, compatible with the State Fire
Code so as to not limit the authority of local fire officials under that code; and
(5) adopt rules that are based on the most recent standard 704, adopted by the National
Fire Protection Association, and that allow a fire department to require employers within its
jurisdiction to post signs conforming to standard 704, and indicating the presence of hazardous
substances. If the signs are required, a fire department shall supply the signs or provide
information to assist an employer to obtain them.
Subd. 2. Investigation powers.
The commissioner shall, at the request of a local fire
department, investigate suspected violations of sections
History: 1Sp1986 c 1 art 10 s 12; 1993 c 337 s 18; 1997 c 187 art 1 s 22; 2005 c 10 art 1 s
64; 2005 c 136 art 9 s 14