219.54 FREIGHT PLATFORM.
(a) Within 30 days after written notice, served in the same manner as a summons in district
court, from the governing body of a statutory city containing 250 inhabitants or more, a railroad
company shall provide platforms at stations as required by the city and at other stations and
sidings when required by the commissioner of transportation.
(b) These platforms must:
(1) be immediately alongside of the railroad company's tracks or sidetracks;
(2) have approaches at each end;
(3) be suitable and convenient for loading and unloading heavy machinery and other freight
upon and from the railroad company's cars;
(4) be at least 12 feet wide, strongly built, and floored with planking at least three inches
(5) be at least 32 feet long, exclusive of approaches;
(6) be the height of the floor of an ordinary boxcar; and
(7) have approaches of such grade that heavily loaded vehicles and equipment can be
driven on them.
(c) Any company failing to comply with this section shall forfeit to the state not less than
$500 nor more than $1,000 for every 30 days that the failure continues.
History: (4762) RL s 2003; 1923 c 142 s 1; 1971 c 25 s 67; 1973 c 123 art 5 s 7; 1976 c 166
s 45; 1980 c 460 s 24; 1980 c 534 s 44; 1985 c 265 art 4 s 1; 1998 c 403 s 29