115A.83 WASTES SUBJECT TO DESIGNATION; EXEMPTIONS.
Subdivision 1. Application.
Designation applies to the following wastes:
(1) mixed municipal solid waste; and
(2) other solid waste that prior to final processing or disposal:
(i) is not managed as a separate waste stream; or
(ii) is managed as a separate waste stream using a waste management practice that is ranked
lower on the list of waste management practices in section
115A.02, paragraph (b)
, than the
primary waste management practice that would be used on the waste at the designated facility.
Subd. 2. Exemption.
The designation may not apply to or include:
(1) materials that are separated from solid waste and recovered for reuse in their original
form or for use in manufacturing processes;
(2) materials that are processed at a resource recovery facility at the capacity in operation at
the time that the designation plan is approved by the commissioner;
(3) materials that are separated at a permitted transfer station located within the boundaries
of the designating authority for the purpose of recycling the materials if:
(i) the transfer station was in operation on January 1, 1991; or
(ii) the materials were not being separated for recycling at the designated facility at the time
the transfer station began separation of the materials; or
(4) recyclable materials that are being recycled, and residuals from recycling if there is at
least an 85 percent volume reduction in the solid waste processed at the recycling facility and the
residuals are managed as separate waste streams.
For the purposes of this section, "manufacturing processes" does not include the treatment of
waste after collection for the purpose of composting.
History: 1984 c 644 s 38; 1989 c 325 s 11; 1991 c 337 s 30; 1992 c 593 art 1 s 21; 1994 c
639 art 5 s 3; 1Sp2005 c 1 art 2 s 161