Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Minnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


Subpart 1.

County classification.

For purposes of this chapter:


the following counties are greater than 80 percent areas: Aitkin; Beltrami; Carlton; Cass; Clearwater; Cook; Crow Wing; Hubbard; Isanti; Itasca; Kanabec; Koochiching; Lake; Lake of the Woods; Mille Lacs; Pine; St. Louis; and Wadena;


the following counties are 50 to 80 percent areas: Anoka; Becker; Benton; Chisago; Morrison; Otter Tail; Sherburne; and Todd; and


the following counties are less than 50 percent areas: Big Stone; Blue Earth; Brown; Carver; Chippewa; Clay; Cottonwood; Dakota; Dodge; Douglas; Faribault; Fillmore; Freeborn; Goodhue; Grant; Hennepin; Houston; Jackson; Kandiyohi; Kittson; Lac Qui Parle; Le Sueur; Lincoln; Lyon; Mahnomen; Marshall; Martin; McLeod; Meeker; Mower; Murray; Nicollet; Nobles; Norman; Olmsted; Pennington; Pipestone; Polk; Pope; Ramsey; Red Lake; Redwood; Renville; Rice; Rock; Roseau; Scott; Sibley; Stearns; Steele; Stevens; Swift; Traverse; Wabasha; Waseca; Washington; Watonwan; Wilkin; Winona; Wright; and Yellow Medicine.


Subp. 2.

County or watershed reclassification.


A local government unit may request the board to reclassify a county or major watershed wholly or partly within its jurisdiction on the basis of its percentage of presettlement wetlands remaining. After receipt of satisfactory documentation from the local government, the board must change the classification of a county or major watershed. If requested by the local government unit, the board must assist in developing the documentation. Within 30 days of its action to approve a change of wetland classifications, the board must publish a notice of the change in the Environmental Quality Board Monitor.


One hundred citizens who reside within the jurisdiction of the local government unit may request the local government unit to reclassify the county or major watershed on the basis of its percentage of presettlement wetlands remaining. In support of the petition, the citizens must provide satisfactory documentation to the local government unit. The local government unit must consider the petition and forward the request to the board or provide a reason why the petition is denied.

Statutory Authority:

MS s 103G.2242


34 SR 145

Published Electronically:

August 26, 2009