language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to health; authorizing a governmental entity to invest funds of a hospital owned or operated by the governmental entity;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 144.581, subdivision 1; Laws 1988, chapter 645, section 3, as amended.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
A municipality, political subdivision, state agency, or other governmental entity that owns or operates a hospital authorized, organized, or operated under chapters 158, 250, 376, and 397, or under sections 412.221, 447.05 to 447.13, 447.31, or 471.59, or under any special law authorizing or establishing a hospital or hospital district shall, relative to the delivery of health care services, have, in addition to any authority vested by law, the authority and legal capacity of a nonprofit corporation under chapter 317A, including authority to:
(1) enter shared service and other cooperative ventures;
(2) join or sponsor membership in organizations intended to benefit the hospital or hospitals in general;
(3) enter partnerships;
(4) incorporate other corporations;
(5) have members of its governing authority or its officers or administrators serve as directors, officers, or employees of the ventures, associations, or corporations;
(6) own shares of stock in business corporations;
(7) offer, directly or indirectly, products and services of the hospital, organization, association, partnership, or corporation to the general public; and
(8) expend funds, including public funds in any form, or devote the resources of the hospital or hospital district to recruit or retain physicians whose services are necessary or desirable for meeting the health care needs of the population, and for successful performance of the hospital or hospital district's public purpose of the promotion of health. Allowable uses of funds and resources include the retirement of medical education debt, payment of onetime amounts in consideration of services rendered or to be rendered, payment of recruitment expenses, payment of moving expenses, and the provision of other financial assistance necessary for the recruitment and retention of physicians, provided that the expenditures in whatever form are reasonable under the facts and circumstances of the situation.
(a) The tax levied by the hospital district under Minnesota Statutes, section 447.34, must not be levied at a rate that exceeds the amount authorized to be levied under that section. The proceeds of the tax may be used for all purposes of the hospital district, except as provided in paragraph (b).
(b) 0.015 percent of taxable market value of the tax in paragraph (a) may be used by the Cook ambulance service and the Orr ambulance service for the purpose of:
(1) ambulance acquisitions for the Cook ambulance service and the Orr ambulance service;
(2) attached and portable equipment for use in and for the ambulances; and
(3) parts and replacement parts for maintenance and repair of the ambulances.
The money may not be used for administrative, operation, or salary expenses.
(c) The part of the levy referred to in paragraph (b) must be administered by the Cook Hospital and passed on in equal amounts directly to the Cook area ambulance service board and the city of Orr to be used for the purposes in paragraph (b).
Presented to the governor April 25, 2017
Signed by the governor April 27, 2017, 3:51 p.m.