language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to human services; modifying the commissioner's duties related to the state medical review team;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2009 Supplement, section 256.01, subdivision 29.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
(a) To ensure the timely processing of determinations of disability by the commissioner's state medical review team under sections 256B.055, subdivision 7, paragraph (b), 256B.057, subdivision 9, paragraph (j), and 256B.055, subdivision 12, the commissioner shall review all medical evidence submitted by county agencies with a referral and seek additional information from providers, applicants, and enrollees to support the determination of disability where necessary. Disability shall be determined according to the rules of title XVI and title XIX of the Social Security Act and pertinent rules and policies of the Social Security Administration.
(b) Prior to a denial or withdrawal of a requested determination of disability due to insufficient evidence, the commissioner shall (1) ensure that the missing evidence is necessary and appropriate to a determination of disability, and (2) assist applicants and enrollees to obtain the evidence, including, but not limited to, medical examinations and electronic medical records.
(c) The commissioner shall provide the chairs of the legislative committees with jurisdiction over health and human services finance and budget the following information on the activities of the state medical review team by February 1, 2010, and annually thereafter:
(1) the number of applications to the state medical review team that were denied, approved, or withdrawn;
(2) the average length of time from receipt of the application to a decision;
(3) the number of appeals and appeal results;
(4) for applicants, their age, health coverage at the time of application, hospitalization history within three months of application, and whether an application for Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits is pending; and
(5) specific information on the medical certification, licensure, or other credentials of the person or persons performing the medical review determinations and length of time in that position.
Presented to the governor April 19, 2010
Signed by the governor April 22, 2010, 11:59 a.m.