1st Engrossment - 92nd Legislature (2021 - 2022) Posted on 02/09/2022 01:46pm
A bill for an act
relating to public safety; providing for senate confirmation of certain members of
the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission; amending Minnesota Statutes
2020, section 244.09, subdivisions 2, 3.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2020, section 244.09, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
The Sentencing Guidelines Commission shall consist of the
(1) the chief justice of the supreme court or a designee;
(2) one judge of the court of appeals, appointed by the chief justice of the supreme court;
(3) one district court judge appointed by the chief justice of the supreme court;
(4) one public defender appointed by the governor upon recommendation of the state
(5) one county attorney appointed by the governor upon recommendation of the board
of directors of the Minnesota County Attorneys Association;
(6) the commissioner of corrections or a designee;
(7) one peace officer as defined in section 626.84 appointed by the governor;
(8) one probation officer or parole officer appointed by the governor; and
(9) three public members appointed by the governor, one of whom shall be a victim of
a crime defined as a felony.
When an appointing authority selects individuals for membership on the commission,
the authority shall make reasonable efforts to appoint qualified members of protected groups,
as defined in section 43A.02, subdivision 33.
One of the members shall be designated by the governor as chair of the commission.
new text begin new text end
Minnesota Statutes 2020, section 244.09, subdivision 3, is amended to read:
Each appointed member shall be appointed for four years
and shall continue to serve during that time as long as the member occupies the position
deleted text begin whichdeleted text endnew text beginnew text end made the member eligible for the appointment. Each member shall continue in
office until a successor is duly appointednew text beginnew text end.
Members shall be eligible for reappointment, and appointment may be made to fill an
unexpired term. deleted text beginThe term of any member appointed or reappointed by the governor before
the first Monday in January 1991 expires on that date.deleted text end The term of any member appointed
or reappointed by the governor deleted text beginafter the first Monday in January 1991deleted text end is coterminous with
the governor. The members of the commission shall elect any additional officers necessary
for the efficient discharge of their duties.