2nd Engrossment - 92nd Legislature (2021 - 2022) Posted on 02/15/2022 08:24am
A bill for an act
relating to public safety; providing for senate confirmation of certain members of
the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission; amending Minnesota Statutes
2020, section 244.09, subdivision 2.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2020, section 244.09, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
The Sentencing Guidelines Commission shall consist of the
(1) the chief justice of the supreme court or a designee;
(2) one judge of the court of appeals, appointed by the chief justice of the supreme court;
(3) one district court judge appointed by the chief justice of the supreme court;
(4) one public defender appointed by the governor upon recommendation of the state
(5) one county attorney appointed by the governor upon recommendation of the board
of directors of the Minnesota County Attorneys Association;
(6) the commissioner of corrections or a designee;
(7) one peace officer as defined in section 626.84 appointed by the governor;
(8) one probation officer or parole officer appointed by the governor; and
(9) three public members appointed by the governor, one of whom shall be a victim of
a crime defined as a felony.
When an appointing authority selects individuals for membership on the commission,
the authority shall make reasonable efforts to appoint qualified members of protected groups,
as defined in section 43A.02, subdivision 33.
One of the members shall be designated by the governor as chair of the commission.
new text begin new text end