Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

HF 1578

as introduced - 93rd Legislature (2023 - 2024) Posted on 02/13/2023 07:15pm

KEY: stricken = removed, old language.
underscored = added, new language.

Bill Text Versions

Introduction Posted on 02/09/2023

Current Version - as introduced

Line numbers 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8

A bill for an act
relating to transportation; amending eligibility for restricted drivers' licenses for
farm work; amending Minnesota Statutes 2022, section 171.041.


Section 1.

Minnesota Statutes 2022, section 171.041, is amended to read:


(a) Notwithstanding any provisions of section 171.04 relating to the age of an applicant
to the contrary, the commissioner may issue a restricted farm work license to operate a
motor vehicle to a person who has attained the age of 15 years and who, except for age, is
qualified to hold a driver's license. The applicant is not required to comply with the six-month
instruction permit possession provisions of sections 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (2), and
171.05, subdivision 2a, or with the 12-month provisional license possession provision of
section 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (1), item (i).

(b) The restricted license must be issued solely for the purpose of authorizing the person
to whom the restricted license is issued to assist deleted text begin the person's parents or guardiansdeleted text end with farm
work. An individual may perform farm work under the restricted license for any entity
authorized to farm under section 500.24. A person holding this restricted license may operate
a motor vehicle only during daylight hours and only within a radius of 40 miles of the
deleted text begin parent's or guardian'sdeleted text end farmhousenew text begin on the farm where the person is workingnew text end .

(c) An applicant for a restricted license must apply to the commissioner for the license
on forms prescribed by the commissioner. The application must be accompanied by:

(1) a copy of a property tax statement showing that the applicant's parent deleted text begin ordeleted text end new text begin ,new text end guardiannew text begin ,
or employer
new text end owns land that is classified as agricultural land or a copy of a rental statement
or agreement showing that the applicant's parent or guardian rents land classified as
agricultural land; deleted text begin and
deleted text end

(2) a written verified statement by the applicant's parent or guardian setting forth the
necessity for the licensedeleted text begin .deleted text end new text begin ; and
new text end

new text begin (3) if the applicant is not working for a parent or guardian, a written verified statement
by the farm owner setting forth the necessity for the license.
new text end