as introduced - 85th Legislature (2007 - 2008) Posted on 12/15/2009 12:00am
A bill for an act
relating to natural resources; permitting electronic licensing system agents
to charge a higher fee to credit card users and requiring that individuals be
notified of the higher fee; amending Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 84.027,
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 84.027, subdivision 15, is amended to read:
(a) The commissioner may receive an
application for, sell, and issue any license, stamp, permit, pass, sticker, duplicate safety
training certification, registration, or transfer under the jurisdiction of the commissioner
by electronic means, including by telephone. Notwithstanding section 97A.472, electronic
and telephone transactions may be made outside of the state. The commissioner may:
(1) provide for the electronic transfer of funds generated by electronic transactions,
including by telephone;
(2) assign an identification number to an applicant who purchases a hunting or
fishing license or recreational vehicle registration by electronic means, to serve as
temporary authorization to engage in the activity requiring a license or registration until
the license or registration is received or expires;
(3) charge and permit agents to charge a fee of individuals who make electronic new text beginnew text endtransactions deleted text beginanddeleted text endnew text beginnew text end transactions by telephone or Internet, including issuing fees and an additional
transaction fee not to exceed $3.50new text beginnew text end;
(4) establish, by written order, an electronic licensing system commission to be
paid by revenues generated from all sales made through the electronic licensing system.
The commissioner shall establish the commission in a manner that neither significantly
overrecovers nor underrecovers costs involved in providing the electronic licensing
(5) adopt rules to administer the provisions of this subdivision.
(b) The fees established under paragraph (a), clause (3), and the commission
established under paragraph (a), clause (4), are not subject to the rulemaking procedures
of chapter 14 and section 14.386 does not apply.
(c) Money received from fees and commissions collected under this subdivision,
including interest earned, is annually appropriated from the game and fish fund and the
natural resources fund to the commissioner for the cost of electronic licensing.