as introduced - 91st Legislature (2019 - 2020) Posted on 03/07/2019 03:46pm
A bill for an act
relating to human services; expanding medical assistance coverage of the
application of fluoride varnish for high-risk children; amending Minnesota Statutes
2018, section 256B.0625, subdivision 9.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 256B.0625, subdivision 9, is amended to read:
(a) Medical assistance covers dental services.
(b) Medical assistance dental coverage for nonpregnant adults is limited to the following
(1) comprehensive exams, limited to once every five years;
(2) periodic exams, limited to one per year;
(3) limited exams;
(4) bitewing x-rays, limited to one per year;
(5) periapical x-rays;
(6) panoramic x-rays, limited to one every five years except (1) when medically necessary
for the diagnosis and follow-up of oral and maxillofacial pathology and trauma or (2) once
every two years for patients who cannot cooperate for intraoral film due to a developmental
disability or medical condition that does not allow for intraoral film placement;
(7) prophylaxis, limited to one per year;
(8) application of fluoride varnish, limited to one per year;
(9) posterior fillings, all at the amalgam rate;
(10) anterior fillings;
(11) endodontics, limited to root canals on the anterior and premolars only;
(12) removable prostheses, each dental arch limited to one every six years;
(13) oral surgery, limited to extractions, biopsies, and incision and drainage of abscesses;
(14) palliative treatment and sedative fillings for relief of pain; and
(15) full-mouth debridement, limited to one every five years.
(c) In addition to the services specified in paragraph (b), medical assistance covers the
following services for adults, if provided in an outpatient hospital setting or freestanding
ambulatory surgical center as part of outpatient dental surgery:
(1) periodontics, limited to periodontal scaling and root planing once every two years;
(2) general anesthesia; and
(3) full-mouth survey once every five years.
(d) Medical assistance covers medically necessary dental services for children and
pregnant women. The following guidelines apply:
(1) posterior fillings are paid at the amalgam rate;
(2) application of sealants are covered once every five years per permanent molar for
(3) application of fluoride varnish is covered once every six monthsnew text beginnew text end; and
(4) orthodontia is eligible for coverage for children only.
(e) In addition to the services specified in paragraphs (b) and (c), medical assistance
covers the following services for adults:
(1) house calls or extended care facility calls for on-site delivery of covered services;
(2) behavioral management when additional staff time is required to accommodate
behavioral challenges and sedation is not used;
(3) oral or IV sedation, if the covered dental service cannot be performed safely without
it or would otherwise require the service to be performed under general anesthesia in a
hospital or surgical center; and
(4) prophylaxis, in accordance with an appropriate individualized treatment plan, but
no more than four times per year.
(f) The commissioner shall not require prior authorization for the services included in
paragraph (e), clauses (1) to (3), and shall prohibit managed care and county-based purchasing
plans from requiring prior authorization for the services included in paragraph (e), clauses
(1) to (3), when provided under sections 256B.69, 256B.692, and 256L.12.
new text begin new text end