Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Minnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

HF 4356

as introduced - 90th Legislature (2017 - 2018) Posted on 04/12/2018 02:28pm

KEY: stricken = removed, old language.
underscored = added, new language.

Current Version - as introduced

Line numbers 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5
1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21

A bill for an act
relating to education; waiving surplus federal property fees for school districts and
state colleges and universities;amending Minnesota Statutes 2016, section
16B.2975, subdivision 3.


Section 1.

Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 16B.2975, subdivision 3, is amended to read:

Subd. 3.


(a) The commissioner is the state agency designated to transfer,
purchase, accept, sell, or dispose of surplus property for the state and for the benefit of any
other governmental unit or nonprofit organization for any purpose authorized by state and
federal law and in accordance with state and federal rules and regulations. Any governmental
unit or nonprofit organization may designate the commissioner to purchase or accept surplus
property for it upon mutually agreeable terms and conditions. The commissioner may
acquire, accept, warehouse, and distribute surplus property and charge a fee to cover any
expenses incurred in connection with any of these acts.

(b) Federal surplus property that has been transferred to the state for donation to public
agencies and nonprofit organizations must be transferred or sold in accordance with the
plan developed under paragraph (c). Expenses incurred in connection with the acquisition,
warehousing, distribution, and disposal of federal surplus property must be paid from the
surplus services revolving fund. Proceeds of sales, minus any expenses, must be deposited
in the surplus services revolving fund.

(c) The commissioner shall develop a detailed plan for disposal of donated federal
property in conformance with state law and federal regulations. The plan must be submitted
to the governor for certification and submission to the federal administrator of general

(d) The commissioner, after consultation with one or more nonprofit organizations with
an interest in providing housing for homeless veterans and their families, may acquire
property from the United States government that is designated by the General Services
Administration as surplus property. The commissioner may lease the property to a qualified
nonprofit organization that agrees to develop or rehabilitate the property for the purpose of
providing suitable housing for veterans and their families. The lease agreement with the
nonprofit organization may require that the property be developed for use as housing for
homeless and displaced veterans and their families and for veterans and their families who
lose their housing.

new text begin (e) The commissioner may not charge a fee to a school district or a Minnesota state
college or university in connection with the transfer of federal surplus property to that entity.
Each fiscal year, the commissioner must certify to the commissioner of management and
budget the total amount of expenses that were unreimbursed under the fee waiver in this
paragraph, in an amount less than or equal to $........ The commissioner of management and
budget shall transfer the amount of certified costs from the general fund and deposit it in
the surplus services revolving fund. Transfers may occur quarterly, based on quarterly cost
and revenue reports, with final rectification and reconciliation after each fiscal year. Amounts
necessary to fund the transfers required by this paragraph are appropriated in each fiscal
year from the general fund to the commissioner of management and budget.
new text end