as introduced - 85th Legislature (2007 - 2008) Posted on 12/15/2009 12:00am
A bill for an act
relating to game and fish; modifying firearm possession restrictions; amending
Minnesota Statutes 2006, sections 97B.041; 97B.211, subdivision 1.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 97B.041, is amended to read:
A person may not possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during the deleted text beginperiod
beginning the fifth day before thedeleted text end open firearms season deleted text beginand ending the second day after
the close of the seasondeleted text end within an area where deer may be taken by a firearm, except:
(1) during the open season and in an area where big game may be taken, a firearm
and ammunition authorized for taking big game in that area may be used to take big game
in that area if the person has a valid big game license in possession;
(2) an unloaded firearm that is in a case or in a closed trunk of a motor vehicle;
(3) a shotgun and shells containing No. 4 buckshot or smaller diameter lead shot
or steel shot;
(4) a handgun or rifle and only short, long, and long rifle cartridges that are caliber
of .22 inches;
(6) on a target range operated under a permit from the commissioner.
This section does not apply during an open firearms season in an area where deer
may be taken only by muzzleloader, except that muzzleloading firearms lawful for the
taking of deer may be possessed only by persons with a valid license to take deer by
muzzleloader during that season.
Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 97B.211, subdivision 1, is amended to read:
deleted text beginExcept when hunting bear,deleted text end A
person may deleted text beginnotdeleted text end take big game by archery while in possession of a firearm.