138.663 STATE REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1. Policy.
The land and water areas in section
comprise the state register
of historic places. In the effort to preserve the historical values of the state, outstanding properties
possessing historical, architectural, archaeological, and aesthetic values are of paramount
importance in the development of the state; in the face of ever increasing extensions of urban
centers, highways, and residential, commercial, and industrial developments, it is important
to inventory historical values. It is in the public interest to provide a register of these historic
properties which represent and reflect elements of the state's cultural, social, economic, religious,
political, architectural, and aesthetic heritage. The properties in section
are not operated
by the Minnesota Historical Society for historical interpretive or public use and access purposes.
Subd. 2. Selection criteria.
Historic properties selected for inclusion in the state register of
historic places are based on the following criteria:
(1) the quality of significance in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering,
and culture that is present in districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that possess integrity
of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association;
(2) association with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns
of our history;
(3) association with the lives of persons significant in our past;
(4) embodiment of the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction,
or that represent the work of a master, or that possess high artistic values, or that represent a
significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction; or
(5) the yielding or likelihood of yielding information pertinent in prehistory or history.
History: 1993 c 181 s 3