language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to public safety; creating new crimes relating to 911 emergency calls; providing criminal penalties;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 609.78.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Whoever does the following is guilty of a misdemeanor:
(1) refuses to relinquish immediately a coin-operated telephone or a telephone line consisting of two or more stations when informed that the line is needed to make an emergency call;
(2) secures a relinquishment of a coin-operated telephone or a telephone line consisting of two or more stations by falsely stating that the line is needed for an emergency;
(3) publishes telephone directories to be used for telephones or telephone lines and the directories do not contain a copy of this section;
(4) makes a call for emergency police, fire, medical, or ambulance service, knowing that no police, fire, or medical emergency exists;
(5) interrupts, disrupts, impedes, or otherwise interferes with the transmission of a citizen's band radio channel communication the purpose of which is to inform or inquire about a medical emergency or an emergency in which property is or is reasonably believed to be in imminent danger of damage or destruction
A person who
intentionally interrupts, disrupts, impedes, or interferes with an emergency call or who intentionally prevents or hinders another from placing an emergency call, and whose conduct does not result in a violation of section 609.498
, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both.
for purposes of this section, "emergency call" means:
(1) a 911 call;
(2) any call for emergency medical or ambulance service; or
(3) any call for assistance from a police or fire department or for other assistance needed in an emergency to avoid serious harm to person or property,
and an emergency exists.
Presented to the governor April 22, 2013
Signed by the governor April 24, 2013, 10:52 a.m.
Copyright © 2013 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.