as introduced - 85th Legislature (2007 - 2008) Posted on 12/15/2009 12:00am
A bill for an act
relating to game and fish; modifying requirements for fishing contest permits;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2007 Supplement, section 97C.081, subdivision 3.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2007 Supplement, section 97C.081, subdivision 3, is
amended to read:
(a) A person must have a permit from the
commissioner to conduct a fishing contest that does not meet the criteria in subdivision
2. The commissioner shall charge a fee for the permit that recovers the costs of issuing
the permit and of monitoring the activities allowed by the permit. The commissioner
may waive the fee under this subdivision for a charitable organizationnew text beginnew text end. Notwithstanding
section 16A.1283, the commissioner may, by written order published in the State Register,
establish contest permit fees. The fees are not subject to the rulemaking provisions of
chapter 14 and section 14.386 does not apply.
(b) If entry fees are over $25 per person, or total prizes are valued at more than
$25,000, and if the applicant has either:
(1) not previously conducted a fishing contest requiring a permit under this
(2) ever failed to make required prize awards in a fishing contest conducted by
the applicant, the commissioner may require the applicant to furnish the commissioner
evidence of financial responsibility in the form of a surety bond or bank letter of credit in
the amount of $25,000.
(c) The permit fee for any individual contest may not exceed the following amounts:
(1) $120 for an open water contest not exceeding 100 participants and without
(2) $400 for an open water contest with more than 100 participants and without
(3) $500 for an open water contest not exceeding 100 participants with off-site
(4) $1,000 for an open water contest with more than 100 participants with off-site
(5) $120 for an ice fishing contest with more than 150 participants.