Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

SF 1092

1st Engrossment - 90th Legislature (2017 - 2018) Posted on 11/09/2017 11:35am

KEY: stricken = removed, old language.
underscored = added, new language.

Current Version - 1st Engrossment

Line numbers 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5
1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5

A bill for an act
relating to transportation; governing driver's licenses; modifying requirements for
the restricted farm work license; amending Minnesota Statutes 2016, section


Section 1.

Minnesota Statutes 2016, section 171.041, is amended to read:


new text begin (a) new text end Notwithstanding any provisions of section 171.04 relating to the age of an applicant
to the contrary, the commissioner may issue a restricted farm work license to operate a
motor vehicle to a person who has attained the age of 15 years and who, except for age, is
qualified to hold a driver's license. The applicant is not required to comply with the six-month
instruction permit possession provisions of sections 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (2), and
171.05, subdivision 2a, or with the 12-month provisional license possession provision of
section 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (1), item (i).

new text begin (b)new text end The restricted license deleted text begin shalldeleted text end new text begin mustnew text end be issued solely for the purpose of authorizing the
person to whom the restricted license is issued to assist the person's parents or guardians
with farm text begin An individual may perform farm work under the restricted license for any
entity authorized to farm under section 500.24.
new text end A person holding this restricted license may
operate a motor vehicle only during daylight hours and only within a radius of deleted text begin 20deleted text end new text begin 40new text end miles
of the parent's or guardian's farmhouse; however, in no case may a person holding the
restricted license operate a motor vehicle in a city of the first class.

new text begin (c)new text end An applicant for a restricted license shall apply to the commissioner for the license
on forms prescribed by the commissioner. The application shall be accompanied by:

(1) a copy of a property tax statement showing that the applicant's parent or guardian
owns land that is classified as agricultural land or a copy of a rental statement or agreement
showing that the applicant's parent or guardian rents land classified as agricultural land; and

(2) a written verified statement by the applicant's parent or guardian setting forth the
necessity for the license.

new text begin EFFECTIVE DATE. new text end

new text begin This section is effective the day following final enactment.
new text end