Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

HF 2459

as introduced - 87th Legislature (2011 - 2012) Posted on 02/28/2012 03:57pm

KEY: stricken = removed, old language.
underscored = added, new language.
Line numbers 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23

A bill for an act
relating to liquor; creating licensure for wine educators; proposing coding for
new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 340A.


Section 1.

new text begin [340A.4042] WINE EDUCATOR; ON-SALE LICENSE.
new text end

new text begin The commissioner may issue an on-sale license to a person meeting the requirements
specified in sections 340A.402 and 340A.409, at an annual cost of $250 per license to a
wine educator and $50 per permit for each employee of the wine educator that will be
pouring wine, under the following conditions:
new text end

new text begin (1) the license may be used to purchase wine at retail and serve wine for educational
purposes in any part of the state, unless a political subdivision adopts an ordinance
prohibiting wine education;
new text end

new text begin (2) wine educators may conduct classes and dispense wine for tasting purposes, in
an amount not to exceed five ounces per hour per person, for a maximum of three hours to
any one class in one day;
new text end

new text begin (3) all events conducted pursuant to this license must be conducted through advance
registration, and no walk-in access to the general public is permitted; and
new text end

new text begin (4) licensees must possess certification that is satisfactory to the commissioner,
including, but not limited to, a certified specialist of wine or certified wine educator status
as conferred by the Society of Wine Educators, a Wine and Spirits Education Trust
Diploma, status as a certified sommelier, or the completion of a wine industry program at
a technical college or culinary school. A wine educator must also complete Training for
Intervention Procedures (TIPS) and have a valid certificate on file with the commissioner.
new text end