as introduced - 92nd Legislature (2021 - 2022) Posted on 02/18/2021 03:26pm
A bill for an act
relating to game and fish; allowing use of night vision enhanced with an infrared
illuminator when hunting coyote or fox; amending Minnesota Statutes 2020, section
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2020, section 97B.086, is amended to read:
(a) A person may not possess night vision or thermal imaging equipment while taking
wild animals or while having in possession, either individually or as one of a group of
persons, a firearm, bow, or other implement that could be used to take wild animals.
(b) This section does not apply to a firearm that is:
(2) in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm that fully encloses the firearm by
being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened without any portion of the
firearm exposed; and
(3) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.
(c) This section does not apply to a bow that is:
(1) completely encased or unstrung; and
(2) in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.
(d) If the motor vehicle under paragraph (b) or (c) does not have a trunk, the firearm or
bow must be placed in the rearmost location of the vehicle.
(e) This section does not apply to night visionnew text beginnew text end or thermal imaging equipment possessed by:
(1) peace officers or military personnel while exercising their duties; or