as introduced - 85th Legislature (2007 - 2008) Posted on 12/15/2009 12:00am
|Introduction||Posted on 02/16/2007|
A bill for an act
relating to the military; expanding uses for money in the Minnesota "Support
Our Troops" account; amending Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 190.19,
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 190.19, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
(a) Money appropriated from the Minnesota "Support Our Troops"
account may be used for:
(1) grants directly to eligible individuals;
(2) grants to one or more eligible foundations for the purpose of making grants to
eligible individuals, as provided in this section; or
(3) veterans' services.
(b) The term, "eligible individual" includes any person who is:
(1) a member of the Minnesota National Guard or a reserve unit based in Minnesota
who has been called to active service as defined in section 190.05, subdivision 5;
(2) a Minnesota resident who is a member of a military reserve unit not based
in Minnesota, if the member is called to active service as defined in section 190.05,
(3) any other Minnesota resident performing active service for any branch of the
military of the United States; deleted text beginand
deleted text end
(4) new text beginnew text end
new text beginnew text enda member of the immediate family of an individual identified in clause (1), (2),
deleted text begin ordeleted text end (3)new text beginnew text end. For purposes of this clause, "immediate family" means the individual's
spouse and minor children and, if they are dependents of the member of the military, the
member's parents, grandparents, siblings, stepchildren, and adult children.
(c) The term "eligible foundation" includes any organization that:
(1) is a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue
(2) has articles of incorporation under chapter 317A specifying the purpose of
the organization as including the provision of financial assistance to members of the
Minnesota National Guard and other United States armed forces reserves and their
families and survivors; and
(3) agrees in writing to distribute any grant money received from the adjutant general
under this section to eligible individuals as defined in this section and in accordance
with any written policies and rules the adjutant general may impose as conditions of the
grant to the foundation.
(d) The maximum grant awarded to an eligible individual in a calendar year with
funds from the Minnesota "Support Our Troops" account, either through an eligible
institution or directly from the adjutant general, may not exceed $2,000.