as introduced - 91st Legislature (2019 - 2020) Posted on 02/07/2019 02:05pm
|Introduction||Posted on 02/07/2019|
A bill for an act
relating to civil liability; providing immunity for for-profit livestock events;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 604A.12, subdivisions 1, 2.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 604A.12, subdivision 1, is amended to read:
(a) For purposes of this section, the following terms have
the meanings given them.
(b) "Inherent risks of livestock activities" means dangers or conditions that are an integral
part of livestock activities, including:
(1) the propensity of livestock to behave in ways that may result in death or injury to
persons on or around them, such as kicking, biting, bucking, or charging;
(2) the unpredictability of livestock's reaction to things like sound, sudden movement,
unfamiliar objects, persons, or other animals;
(3) natural hazards such as surface or subsurface conditions; or
(4) collisions with other livestock or objects.
(c) "Livestock" means cattle, sheep, swine, horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, hinnies,
goats, buffalo, llamas, or poultry.
(d) "Livestock activity" means an activity involving the maintenance or use of livestock,
regardless of whether the activity is open to the general publicdeleted text begin, and, except in the case of
livestock grazing under clause (7), provided the activity is notdeleted text end new text beginnew text endperformed for profit.
Livestock activity includes:
(1) livestock production;
(2) loading, unloading, or transporting livestock;
(3) livestock shows, fairs, competitions, performances, races, rodeos, or parades;
(4) livestock training or teaching activities;
(5) boarding, shoeing, or grooming livestock;
(6) riding or inspecting livestock or livestock equipment; or
(7) the use of state property for livestock grazing, pursuant to an agreement with the
commissioner of natural resources.
(e) "Livestock activity sponsor" means a person who sponsors, organizes, or provides
the facilities for a livestock activity that is open to the general public.
(f) "Participant" means a person who directly and intentionally engages in a livestock
activity. Participant does not include a spectator who is in an authorized area.
Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 604A.12, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
A deleted text beginnonprofitdeleted text end corporation, association,
or organization, or a person or other entity donating services, livestock, facilities, or
equipment for the use of a nonprofit corporation, association, or organization, is not liable
for the death of or an injury to a participant resulting from the inherent risks of livestock